The development of the Lüdersburg community as well as the history of the origin of Schloss Lüdersburg go way back in time. We would like to travel through time with you, from the 12th century up to the present day.
Journey Through Time
Follow Schloss Lüdersburg through the centuries and find out how the golf course came into existence.
Lüdersburg used to be part of the Duchy of Sachsen-Lauenburg. It wasn’t until after the Congress of Vienna, when most of Sachsen-Lauenburg was ceded to the Danish crown, that Lüdersburg – expressly retaining its rights and exemptions – became part of the region on the left bank of the Elbe remaining in possession of the sovereignty of Hannover.
Lüdersburg, most likely the castle of the Luidhari, may have been erected as the front line to fight off attacks by the Wends. The site of the original castle can only be recognized today by the moats dug to protect it from ambush.
The nobles von Hardestorpe, first documented in the 13th century, were followed by the von Zabels, called Lauenburg, who were then replaced in 1328 by the von Wittorf dynasty (since died out) as owners of the castle.
In 1775, the Colonel and Adjutant General Ludwig von Spoercken, a nephew of the Field Marshall Friedrich August von Spoercken, who obtained honor in the Seven Year War, purchased the fiefdom. He was followed by his sons August and Friedrich von Spoercken, who owned the property jointly. They made names for themselves as a highly respected stable master and provincial stable master affiliated with the State Stud Celle.
The privileges of the Gut Lüdersburg estate were greater than those of other feudal estates. They were based on dynastic rights last confirmed through a settlement with the Elector Georg Ludwig and then later by King George I of England. In addition to complete tax exemption, the estate and its three towns Lüdersburg, Bockelkathen and Jürgenstorf could not be burdened billeting soldiers. The owners of the estate had the right to levy duties at the Altenbrücker gate to the city of Lüneburg.
Lüdersburg was an independent judicial district until 1850. In addition to hunting and fishing rights as well as the right brew, distill and serve beverages and to operate a forge, it had rights to grant a concession for certain trade and commercial enterprises and the right to charge so-called flight capital and other fees.
The vast woods and swamps of the glacial valley of the Elbe that surrounded the Lüdersburg estate were successively thinned and colonized by charcoal burners. It was this colonization that led to settlement of the villages Lüdersburg, Bockelkathen and Jürgenstorf. However, the agricultural area was still so swampy that at best extensive livestock farming could occur. And beginning in the mid 19th century, horse breeding became more and more significant to the region. It was in this field that Werner Hermann von Spoercken (1824 – 1899) gained acclaim as the founder of the “Viehzuchtverband der Artlenburger Elbmarsch” (livestock breeding association), the later “Pferdezuchtverband Artlenburger Elbmarsch (horse breeding association), the Lüneburger Herdbuchgesellschaft (herd book association), the association of Lüneburg pig breeders, the dairies in Echem, Dahlenburg and Uelzen, and the Lüneburg sales cooperative. He was also a co-founder of the sugar refinery in Uelzen.
It wasn’t until the 1960s and 1970s, with the increase in pump stations, runoff ditches and drainages, that the land was able to be used extensively for agricultural purposes. Today the land is used only for crop cultivation, not for livestock.
The present-day castrum, a two-story half-timbered structure with a mansard roof, was erected on the foundation of an older building. Details on the history of the current or former manor houses are not known: The contents of the archives on this subject were destroyed during the Second World War. The family lived in the house until 1947, then it served as a boarding school until 1981. After that the house stood empty for a long time.
It wasn’t until 1981 that the decision was made to perform extensive restoration and save the house from collapse. Apartments for golf enthusiasts were created in the manor house and in the two coach houses (new building and chamberlain’s office), parts of which are now included in the hotel complex. For our guests nowadays, the manor house is the most-photographed subject.
In the late1980s the von Spoercken family began construction of the first 6-hole golf course. Then over time it was expanded to 18 holes (Old Course) and a second 18-hole course (Lakes Course) was built along with a 4-hole short course (next to the driving range).
In 2009 new construction of the stables was completed, providing space for 27 additional rooms and suites and for the spa area, offering saunas, steam baths, massages, beauty treatments and a sound tub.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.